G20 Summit Costs, 2010–2018
November 28, 2018
See also G8 and G20 Summit Costs (June 2010)
2010 Canada *G8 and *G20 Summits
- Total Cost for both summits: CAD 1.1 billion
- Hospitality, infrastructure, food safety and extra staffing (both summits): CAD 160 million
- Security for both summits: CAD 933 million
2010 G20 Summit in Toronto
- Total Cost: CAD 715 million
- Security: CAD 604.5 million
2011 G20 Summit in Cannes
- Total Cost: EUR 80 million
2013 G20 Summit in St. Petersburg
- Total Cost: RUB 2 billion (USD 62 million)
2014 G20 Summit in Brisbane
- Cost of Hosting: AUD 400 million
- Cost of Security: AUD 100 million
2015 G20 Summit in Antalya
- Turkey's Hürriyet Newspaper reported that the cost was expected to top 500 million.
- No other information was found.
2016 G20 Summit in Hangzhou
- The Economist reported that there was a rumour the city was spending RMB 160 billion (USD 24 billion) to host the G20 summit.
- Chinese authorities have refused to reveal the exact cost of the summit.
2017 G20 Summit in Hamburg
- Total Cost of Summit: EUR 72.2 million (includes security, hospitality, organizational and protocol related preparations)
- Cost of damage caused by riots: EUR 12 million
2018 G20 Summit in Buenos Aires
- Total Cost of Summit: USD 112 million
- Patrick Maguire, "Brisbane, Australia's 2014 G20 Security Costs Were $500M Less than Toronto's," Vice, November 14, 2014
- Kristian Silva, "G20 security forces complete final major training exercise,", Brisbane Times, October 6, 2014
- "Turkey's G-20 summit spending under scrutiny,"Hürriyet Daily News, June 22, 2014
- "China prepares to host the G20," The Economist, August 29, 2016
- Tom Phillips with Christy Yao, "
'Paradise on earth': China's Hangzhou gets propaganda facelift for G20 summit," The Guardian, August 31, 2016
- "Security," FAQs, Germany's official website for the 2017 Hamburg Summit
- "Hamburg G20 riot damages run into millions," DW, July 19, 2017
- John Kirton, Jenilee Guebert and Shamir Tanna, "G8 and G20 Summit Costs," G8 and G20 Research Groups, July 5, 2010
- CBC News, "Summit costs hit $1.1B," May 6, 2010
- CTV News, "Ottawa releases costs for G20, G8 summits," November 5, 2010
- Rossiyskaya Gazeta, "St. Petersburg to spend nearly $62 million on G20 summit," RBTH Interfax, July 15, 2013
- Independent, "Diary: France counts €80m G20 cost," November 7, 2011
- Ignacio Grimaldi, "Argentina gastó US$ 112 millones en preparación de la cumbre del G20," CNN Español, November 27, 2018
[back to top]
All contents copyright © 2020. University of Toronto unless otherwise stated. All rights reserved.